Anyone who knows me well knows that I am afraid of fire. No…I am TERRIFIED of fire. It is a funny story really…
When I was a little kid (like really little…I don’t know, 4?) my brother and my cousin were playing with matches. Under the bed. As a grown up, that is so bad and so dangerous! But as a kid, I was a little awestruck actually. I thought they were so amazing and cool already. My Mom, however, did not think it was cool OR amazing. Actually, she kind of flipped out! Her response was to show them how dangerous fire is by burning them. BURNING THEM! Some 70’s child discipline right there, right?! She burned their fingers on the stove so they would never forget that fire is painful and dangerous. The funny thing is that my brother and my cousin both grew up to smoke so it wasn’t effective for them. I, on the other hand, still can’t handle fire. I can’t light a match. I can’t light a lighter. I can’t even stand too close to a bonfire without having heart palpitations about it. As a matter of fact, I have a fireplace in my home and there is a TV in front of it BECAUSE I WILL NEVER USE IT!
So someone needs to pat me on the back or high five me or something because I did something super scary and something super cool today. I lit my own charcoal grill. Yup, you heard that right. I LIT A GRILL WITH FIRE. I cooked 6 turkey burgers so that I didn’t waste the charcoal. And I cried. I am not going to apologize, it was such a big deal for me! I will probably not cook on the grill again but I can now. I was not sure I could do it but my friend knew I could. He encouraged me and honestly I only did it because I didn’t want to tell him that I didn’t even try. Peer pressure, am I right?!
Anyway, I guess the moral of this story is that fire is a metaphor for life. It is so scary to go out and do something instead of just putting my chair far enough away from the bonfire so I could still enjoy the warmth and hear the crackling but not close enough to smell the wood burning or have my cheeks turn red from the heat. Or risk getting burned by the fire. Sometimes life is dangerous like fire and sometimes I get burned. I can’t play it safe all the time, I have to light the grill sometimes. I can walk through life and watch people do things or I can try to do them myself. I might get burned but I might learn how to do something cool like lighting a grill. And who doesn’t want to be a cool grill master?!